Apple has succumbed to pressure from renewable energy-friendly organizations and has announced its main data center, located in Maiden, North Carolina, will be running 100% off renewable energy sources by the end of this year.
The company said they are building two solar array systems that will together produce over 84 million kilowatt-hours per year in a location nearby. They will also be constructing a bio-gas fuel cell installation to power the data center. Both sites will be finished by year-end.
Apple said that the two systems will offer nearly 60% of the energy it needs to run the data center. The other 40% will be provided by "local and regional sources", which the company also claims to be "green." The Maiden data center is the main responsible for storing data sent to Apple's iCloud service.