Search Engine Optimisation or SEO is one of the big things on the internet right now. There are plenty of sites that offer to look at your web page and give you advice on how to improve the SEO, raise your page rank and get more people viewing your page.
If you run a website I’m sure you’ve received the spam emails that say to pay the company a certain amount of money and they can get you onto the front page of Google, they guarantee it. Fact is though this is either a bending of the truth or they will use underhand methods that could see you completely removed from Google’s searching. Google have their rules and if you break them you run the risk of ruining your chances of gaining good search results.
Improving Search Results
The best way to improve your search results is to take your time. Yes, this is not what you want to hear but the truth is for SEO to be an actual success you have to work at it and let it grow. Here are some tips to help you start the process of better search results:
- The quality of the URL – put your keywords into the URL for your page. Instead of using names such as “page1.htm” or even “/?p=110” which is the default URL structure for Wordpress for example; make the URL make sense. Use something as simple as “sell-cars-cheap” for a car sales page; this will improve the indexing of your page.
- Make sure the title of your page has your keywords in it.
- Use tags for the page in the metadata (found in the header of the page) that best describe the subject.
- Content is the most important thing you can ever use to improve your search. If you have content that includes your keywords and is written well then you are more likely to get the search results you are looking for. Most SEO experts will always highlight the content of the page as the most important factor.
- If you are using blogs such as Wordpress remember to use the SEO functionality that can be added. Using the “All in One SEO” plugin for example will do a lot of the work for you in improving the search ability of your page.
- When using images always include text in the alt and title tags.
- Remember to use social networking sites to advertise your page. If you focus the right people and use the right hash tags you will find that it’s much easier to improve traffic to your site than just through searches.
The most important thing about SEO is the content of your page. You must always provide good quality information with use of your keywords so that when your page is crawled it will be picked up for the correct subjects and will show up in more searches for the people you are targeting. There are many other SEO tricks that can be used to improve your searches but these basic tips are a starting point to improving your search results.